Setup.exe and configuration items

Robert Collins robert.collins@syncretize.net
Thu Jul 18 06:48:00 GMT 2002

I think it would be nice to add configuration dialogs for packages to
setup.exe.

i.e. when installing ssh, ask the user whether to configure sshd or not.

The requirements are:
* It must be capable of being driven textually - for future command line
setup.exe installs.
* It must be capable of being automated - for unattended installs.
* It must be either able to run in the current post-install interface,
or trivial to add to setup.exe's codebase (and I do mean trivial).

In the interest of reusing existing tools, does anyone have suggestions?

Does rpm have such an interface? I don't use rpm much, thus the
question.

We could use debconf (it's independent from dpkg).

I'm completely open to ideas here, as I don't have time to maintain
anything new :[.

If we can find something that is a drop-in, optional tool, that would be
ideal.

Rob