[ITP]: Berkley DB v2

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 22 17:06:00 GMT 2002

Gareth Pearce wrote:

> <note - i know little to nothing about db and havent looked at the
> packages>
>
> Hmmm depending on release order seems rather dubious to me...
> Would it not be better to have the symlink installed by postinstall
> script that checks if there is an existing symlink and only replacing it
> if the version of the one its pointing too is less then the one being
> installed?

What if I *want* to revert to an older version?

> same postinstall for all db packages - will work when a new db comes
> along (assuming that you are using some standard in versioned libs) -
> and doesnt rely on instalation order (which in my mind sounds sort of
> easy to break).

Probably.  But the postinstall scripts are all there.  So, you can
manually re-execute:

/etc/postinstall/libdb3.3-devel.sh.done

and assert the "current" links to the 3.3 version, or 4.0, or whatever.

> (hmmm would need a postuninstall script to chose highest remaining one
> to link it too as well)

Probably so, but the logic gets tricky.  I think this one can be tabled
until it becomes an issue.  Under the current scheme, there are two
fixes if you uninstall (the latest) db-devel:
   1) reinstall (the latest minus one) db-devel
   2) execute /etc/postinstall/libdb(thelatestminusone)-devel.sh.done
manually.

This will probably be so rare a problem, that I believe these two
options are sufficient.

--Chuck