--enable-auto-import extension

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 11 18:18:00 GMT 2002

This is an update of Egor Duda's original version.  I have made no
substantive changes, except
   1) remove the "minimal" portion which has already been accepted into
CVS as an interim measure (August 2002) while we were waiting for Egor's
copyright assignment for binutils to get in to FSF.
   2) minor formatting changes so that it applies cleanly against
current CVS.

I've tested the result, and it works as advertised -- and just as well
as it did back in June/July when we went thru this the FIRST time.
Please apply.  The concept has already been approved for incorporation;
we were just waiting for Egor's assignment.  Which I devoutly hope has
made it in sometime in the past five months.

In
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-08/msg00548.html
cgf recommended that:

And again here, cgf wrote:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-08/msg00286.html

> What's the status of this change?  I'd vote for including it in ld
> iff it is only invoked when the option is specifically used.  Then
> we can add the appropriate changes to cygwin, make a new release, and
> then make a binutils release as well.

The condition cgf specified is obeyed by the attached patch (with the
exception of the "minimal" portion which has already been accepted into
CVS, and which cannot be conditionalized in that manner.)

The "original patch" as modified by subsequent discussion is here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-07/msg00035.html

Although it was first proposed here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-06/msg00757.html

Since my changes were minimal, the "ownership" of this patch is still
Egor.  (If it matters, I have an assignment on file already).

--Chuck