[patch] Help Option

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 05:28:00 GMT 2002

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 13:51, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>>Robert Collins wrote:
>>
>>>IIRC -mwindows builds don't get a console, so can't output command line
>>>help.
>>>

>>That doesn't mean you can't create one.
>

> Which results in a popup window right? Which is -effectively- gui help
> for command line options, right back where we started.

That depends on how it's coded.  The -mwindows switch alone doesn't
cause the abscense of stdio.

<foo.c>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <windows.h>

int WINAPI WinMain (
     HINSTANCE hInstance,
     HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
     LPSTR     lpszCmdParm,
     int       nCmdShow
)
{
     printf("stdout\n");
     fprintf(stderr, "stderr\n");
}
</foo.c>
<build>
g++ -o foo foo.C -mwindows
</build>

If you wanted you could even use the Win32 API WriteFile function.

HANDLE hStdout = (HANDLE)_get_osfhandle (_fileno (stdout));
WriteFile (hStdout, ...

Earnie.