delete keychain (Was: GPL packages without a COPYING file)

Hack Kampbjørn cygwin-apps@hack.kampbjorn.com
Thu Sep 26 12:02:00 GMT 2002

Hack Kampbjørn wrote:
> Some time ago doing a review of the pwgen package
> (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-07/msg00656.html) I
> observed:
>  > This seems to be a GPL package but I cannot find a COPYING file in the
>  > original distribution, this voids the GPL as you (or Red Hat) cannot
>  > redistribute this package without a copy of the GPL license. You may
>  > need to ask the upstream maintainer to add a COPYING file to the
>  > pwgen-2.0.2 tarball.
>
> While updating keychain I found that it has the same problem.
>
>   GPL 1. You may copy and distribute [...] and give any other recipients
>   of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.
>
> Do you read the GPL differently than I do. Debian seems to as they have
> both a pwgen and a keychain package.
>
> Can we just add a copy of the License to a GPL package missing it?
>
> If we are worried about filespace consumption we could make a
> gpl-license package and symlink to its COPYING file as long as the files
> are identicals (some packages may have added conditions).
>
> If you do read the GPL as I do we should delete the current keychain
> package(s) while I contact the upstream maintainer.

As nobody on this list seemed to care I tried to contact the keychain
author who doesn't seem to care either. And I still don't think we are
allowed to redistribute it, I'll for this package to be delete until
this question can be answered.

If you thinks it's alright to keep the current package you're welcome to
take over as the list obviously has no problem with it.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn