Repairing erroneous move of setup-200303 branch tag

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Wed Apr 2 23:35:00 GMT 2003

Robert Collins wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> The setup-200303 branch tag has been inadvertantly moved, leaving the
>> original branch untagged and inaccessible, and also giving rise to the
>> insanely long version number assigned to the current setup snapshot.
>>
>> I've inspected the RCS files, and can restore the setup-200303 to it's
>> correct location - but I will need to directly edit the RCS files.
>> (Obviously I will do a test run on a local copy of the repository first).
>>
>> Advantages:
>> * Repository would be less confusing to someone inspecting it at a later
>> date.
>> * We can have a less silly version number for our next release setup.
>> * Simple tidyness.
>>
>> Disadvantages:
>> * I'll need to lock the relevant directories (setup and libgetopt++) for
>> about 15 minutes
>>

>> Comments?
>
> Go for it. I didn't realise CVS was so broken.

Forgot to say in my last email:

Do you recall the command you ran that caused this? Presumably something
like "cvs (r)tag -F". Or was it a script that went wrong? I see some
instances of cvs rtag -F in maint/cvsmerge. Did you use that script?

Max.