A modest proposal #2: unsupported

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 19 16:19:00 GMT 2003

Max Bowsher wrote:
>>  1) install into /usr/local/* or /opt/<package>/* [see RFD #1] -- NEVER
>>  EVER touch ANYTHING under /usr/*.  This includes cygwin-specific doco:
>>  it should go under /usr/local/doc/ /usr/local/doc/Cygwin/ if desired,
>>  and NOT /usr/doc/.  Ditto --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc and NOT /etc.
>>  But cygwin-specific doco is not required for these ports.
>

> Not /usr/local ! I use that for non-setup-managed packages.
>
> FHS does reserve it for the local sysadmin:
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.9.html

Is there another unified tree that isn't /usr  or  /usr/local ?  It'd
really suck to have to use the /opt/<package>/ heirarchy for EVERY
unsupported package.  (And no, FHS doesn't allow using
/opt/[bin|lib|...] directly; everything there must be links to stuff in
/opt/<package>/... )

/unsupported/[bin|lib|...] is okay, I suppose.  But its non-FHS, and Yet
Another Top Level Directory.

--Chuck