[Review - not yet] Re: [ITP] gtypist-2.7

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Dec 11 18:46:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > Judging by the above list of packages that distribute help2man, just
> > stick it in the source distro.  It's not that large.  Although I would
> > put it in the regular source dir, not CYGWIN-PATCHES...  Oh, and you'd
> > need to change GEN_MAN in configure.in and configure to something like
> > "$(srcdir)/help2man ./gtypist -o gtypist.1", anyway).
>
> I've tried this and a few other ways but it's not working.  As soon as
> configure finishes the missing script takes over and calls config.status
> - --recheck.  Exactly what needs to be changed and where to get this to
> work?

Ah, I see the problem!  I had the same one with pdksh.  When you create
the patch, the files are diff'ed in alphabetical order, which places
'configure.in' *after* 'configure' in the patch.  This means that when the
patch command finishes, 'configure.in' will be newer than 'configure' --
hence the remake.  I dealt with this by adding

  touch ${srcdir}/stamp-h.in ${srcdir}/config.h.in ${srcdir}/configure && \

to the 'conf' step of the build script.  It's a kludge, but it works.

> Or we could just get help2man in the distro, albeit not the newest
> version.  Being a commonly-used GNU package, I'm frankly surprised that
> it isn't packaged for Cygwin, unless the newer versions' dependency on
> Locale::gettext was the problem.
>
> Thanks!

AFAICS, there was no need for it, as all the packages that used the script
in the build came with their own versions.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu