Some questions about the nfs source package was: RE: NFS server (final?)

Pavel Tsekov ptsekov@gmx.net
Fri Feb 14 14:12:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

Sam, I've tried to build the nfs daemon from the source package. Now I
followed the instructions you gave in the readme file but they don't
answer the questions that the BUILD script asks. It would be nice to
include the answers to those questions in the readme file, or maybe even
better, avoid invoking BUILD at all an just set your defaults in the
proper place.

Btw there was an interesting question I saw there:

+------------------------------+
| Access control configuration |

Unfsd makes sure the exports file is always owned by the same user, and
is not writable by anyone but that user. I will now ask you for the uid
and gid of that user. Please enter appropriate user and group ids or
names.

Which uid should own /etc/exports? [default 0 (root)]

What have you answered to that one when configuring ? I guess a good
defaults would be the Administrator uid and the SYSTEM gid i.e. something
like 544 (Administrator), 18 (SYSTEM). I dont know though if the
Administrator uid is a well known one i.e. if it is always 544.