Some questions about the nfs source package was: RE: NFS server (final?)

Robb, Sam sam.robb@timesys.com
Fri Feb 14 18:08:00 GMT 2003

> > Sam, I've tried to build the nfs daemon from the source
> package. Now I
> > followed the instructions you gave in the readme file but they don't
> > answer the questions that the BUILD script asks. It would be nice to
> > include the answers to those questions in the readme file, or maybe
> > even better, avoid invoking BUILD at all an just set your
> defaults in
> > the proper place.

My apologies - I'll update the README.  The commands used to build are:

cd <source>
./BUILD --batch                         \
                --devtab=no             \
                --ugidd=no              \
                --nis=no                \
                --hosts-access=no       \
                --exports-uid=500       \
                --exports-gid=513       \
                --log-mounts=no
make all
make prefix=/usr install

> > Btw there was an interesting question I saw there:

<snip>

> > Which uid should own /etc/exports? [default 0 (root)]

Err... this is the point where I get horribly embarrassed.

I ran into the "who should own the exports file?" problem
early on, and thought, "I'll just punt this for now".  Well,
other things naturally came to occupy my attention...

So if you look at the auth_init() function in auth_init.c,
you'll see that the exports file permissions checks are
currently disabled if you build under Cygwin.

>From what folks have said (particularly Pierre), it seems
like using SYSTEM (18) as the owner and Administrator (544)
as the group would be acceptable as a default.  So, unless
someone gives me a reason not to use that, It will go in
to today's changes.

-Samrobb