"Mirrors list order is snafued" - What is the order supposed to be?

Lapo Luchini lapo@lapo.it
Wed Jan 22 17:24:00 GMT 2003

David Starks-Browning wrote:

>OK, good point.  As long as nothing *blocks* waiting for pings to
>finish, I guess I don't care if setup pings.

That is indeed a *must*, as many router filter echo reply packets, so at
least some server's reply would never be received, and moreover UDP
packets may be lost with no problem (no automatic re-transmission at all).

Different problem: we need either raw sockets (bad, bad, bad) or the
ICMP.dll, which is available also on Win9x if some releaseof IE is
installed, AFAIR.

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)