[setup] Inaccurate message: See /setup.log.full

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Jan 24 00:28:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:
> >
> >> When an installation is incomplete, setup advises the user to see
> >> /setup.log.full
> >>
> >> Possible fixes:
> >> 1) drop the slash. Let the user figure out where the file is.
> >> 2) Make it say /var/log/setup.log.full. I know setup logs in its cwd
> >> if you exit it before going far enough, but if so, you haven't
> >> installed anything so that is can be incomplete.
> >> 3) Make the message show the full Windows path. Tricky, would
> >> require some refactoring, or some very hackish code.
>
> > I don't see #3 as needing hackish code...
>
> Sorry, should have explained more. The hackishness comes in that the message
> is currently determined by setting a global int variable to the resource id
> of the message to show. So, we would have to either test for one specific
> id, in which case we do something special (hackish), or we rework how setup
> decides what to show at the end of a run (needs thought).
>
> Max.

Yes, that thought occurred to me after I sent the message.  However, it's
not that bad - simply always pass the filename to the final dialog with
the exit_msg, and let it make use of it if it's equipped to.  That is, in
LogFile.cc:117:

  String log_full = cygpath(getFile(LOG_BABBLE));
  if (exit_msg)
    note (NULL, exit_msg, log_full.cstr_oneuse());

and change res.rc:484 as follows:

    IDS_INSTALL_INCOMPLETE  "Installation incomplete.  Check %s for details"

and that's it.  The last parameter will be ignored if the message does not
contain a "%s", but, AFAICT, will not have any adverse effects.

This is for the short term, anyway.  Rob's suggestion of showing all the
logs is better, but will reqire more changes.

And I just realized that with all the code I quoted in the past two
messages, I might as well have written a patch...  *g*  Oh, well.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune