Unusual request: get bison 1.35 back as prev version

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Mon Jan 27 22:09:00 GMT 2003

Hi!

> The problem with this scenario is that it requires that a user revert
> their version of bison just for this package.  It also assumes that
> bison is not going to change.  That is not the case.  There is a new
> version of bison coming soon.  So the old version will soon be 1.75.
>
> So, if I put back 1.35 today and you published instructions to drop back
> to "prev" then they will only work for a limited amount of time anyway.
That would have been fine with me ;-), it's only for the current stable
version (OOo 1.0.2), as I said the newer versions in cvs don't have
problems with newer bisons.

>>Then, and not any time earlier, I will probably put the bison package
>>to a special OOo download mirror, and I propably will have to re-create
>>the source archive also, but that's not your business.
>>
>>I'd like to have as less steps needed to get the build environment
>>complete as possible.
>>
>>Christopher: It would help the OOo comunity a lot to get this "previous"
>>package, and it is only temporally needed, as the next stable release
>>will certainly work with the newest, latest, greatest bison.
>
> Can I suggest that a much less intrusive solution would be to provide
> patches to the affected .y files to get them to work with the latest
> version of bison?  Then people just have to apply a patch and move
> on, rather than having to download an executable and figure out what
> to do with it.
Hmm, yes, this just means a: do a cvs checkout for OOO_STABLE_1.
Unfortunately you cannot request such things from "newbies".

> So, no, I'm not going to put the old version of bison back.  I'm sorry.

Hmm, OK, but you could do me a favor and put the 1.35 release (only the
source package, I still have the binary package) where I can get it, or
just mail it to me. This would spare me at least the rebuild of the
source package, and I can put it on an OOo server (including the sources
with patches). Just for the time it is still needed.

Thanks

    Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D