TEST: patch-2.5.8-4 (package maintainers, please note)

Fri Jul 25 04:46:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Actually, now that I've generated a fix for the problem, as it turns
> out, this *is* an issue for cygwin-apps.
>
> Fixing the problem requires generating a new DLL with a new export --
> fdopen64.  If there are any packages built which use fdopen they could
> conceivably fail in the same manner as patch.  Sigh.
>
> This means that we may have to go through the "rebuild packages" exercise
> again for cygwin 1.5.1.  I will release a 1.5.1 version of cygwin shortly
> after generating a snapshot.
>
> I'll also rebuild patch, in Corinna's absence, fwiw.
>
> David, I am very glad that you took the time to track this problem down.
> If I had stuck with my original plan and let Corinna deal with it when she
> got back, then there is a possibility that more packages would have been
> ported and more people would conceivably have to duplicate some effort.

Grumble grumble.  Well, most of the effort in my case were the surprise
discoveries (new ABIs, having to split previously monolithic packages, etc).

A simple recompile and version bump is fairly simple, and quick.

So, if nobody minds, I am going to continue plugging away under 1.5.0,
doing the "hard part" of the up-ports, until 1.5.1 is officially
available.  But don't be surprised if I don't update the comments in the
READMEs this time...

In case anyone was wondering, my TODO list has been whittled down to

1. (redo) gettext to fix /usr/share/man problem -- postpone to
     post-1.5.1

2. cvs

3. proj        -- still in "Pending Packages list"
4. libgeotiff  -- ditto

5. automake    -- normal update to 1.7.6; unrelated to cygwin-1.5.x

And that's it.  (Well, I imagine there will be bugfixes with cygipc-2.x
after Jason recompiles postgresql, but I'll cross that bridge when it
falls on me.)

--
Chuck