minires-0.95 - a new package ready for review

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Thu Jun 12 19:43:00 GMT 2003

cgf@redhat.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:51:46AM -0400, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
>
>>libresolv is a standalone library on many unixes, for example BIND
>>installs this lib. I see no reason to include the library into newlib,
>>let's keep it standalone.
>

> newlib has standalone libraries now.  Putting it in newlib gets it into
> the cygwin distribution automatically.  You don't have to know that it
> has to be selected.

Yes, especially since the great EL/IX III import :-D

> Alternately, we could also make the resolver package part of the base
> distribution and/or have the cygwin package depend on it.

We should make it easier on the developer, packaging it with the rest of
the newlib/cygwin package just makes sense.  Not to dispute this with
anyone, but again, this is something that is core functionality in this
day and age.  Although tenuous, I might point to Debian or RedHat or
even MacOS X and ask: is libresolve distributed separate from the
package the libc/libm dll is in?  I think putting it into a separate
import/dll library makes sense and is consistent with how linux/bsd/sun
do it.

Cheers,
Nicholas