mknetrel issues

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Sat Jun 14 21:43:00 GMT 2003

I've been trying to use mknetrel (natively on Cygwin) to build myself a
gcc-3.3.

I ran into a variety of small issues:

1) This line:
   sedit 's/^gcc_version_trigger[  ]*=.*$//' Makefile '*' :
contains whitespace in the sed pattern. It's quoted here, but by the time it
is actually used, the quotes have been lost by passing it to a shell
function, producing the error "unterminated 's' command".

2) Use of $(BASE_FLAGS_TO_PASS) and $(EXTRA_HOST_FLAGS)
I'm guessing these are intended to be make variables, but the quotes are
getting lost prematurely, and they are being interpreted by bash as $()
command interpolation.

3) There seems to be a bug in extra/gcc: The addmakeflags GCJ=... GCJH=...
does not take account of the fact that addmakeflags removes whitespace
between its arguments, leading to the single flag of GCJ=...GCJH=... being
added.

I'm a little confused why all this is going wrong for me - given that
mknetrel must obviously get regular use. On the other hand, I don't see what
could be odd about my system to cause this.

Can anyone (well, cgf, probably) explain any of this?

Thanks,

Max.