PCRE package for consideration

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Thu May 1 14:54:00 GMT 2003

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> Your problem is most likely not libtool but more the dependency on
>> auto export that causes the wrong exports from the dll.  To overcome
>> this you must explicitly specify what to export from the pcreposix dll.
>

>> The same auto export functionality is used for both.  This is one of
>> the pitfalls of auto export.
>

> In my not so humble opinion, the above is pure misinformation and FUD.
>
> Earnie, what the HELL do you have against auto-import? This is the
> second time in less than a week you've tried to discourage people -- on
> cygwin, not mingw -- from using a perfectly good feature of our build
> tools.

I don't have a problem with it other than it doesn't always do the job
correctly even for gcc and it isn't portable to other win32 compilers so
it's only usable to GCC.

> And if you DO have issues with auto-import, why the HELL didn't you
> raise your concerns at ANY point over the last two F****** years?

I don't think auto-import is a bad thing.  And I think that libtool
itself use the given capabilities of gcc.  But then I also think that
supporting only GCC in autotools is also a viable argument worth debate.
  However, the auto import feature pitfalls have been learned over time.
  I was only suggesting a possibility of the problem and a possible work
around not intending to heat you into flames.

Earnie.