RPM and shared library support

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Thu May 8 14:25:00 GMT 2003

alcocer@helixdigital.com wrote:
> Chuck Wilson has suggested[1] that RPM dynamically link to the Berkeley
> DB database shared library; I imagine this would go for zlib, too.
>
> Well, perusing the RPM mailing list archive, it turns out that it's a
> little more involved. According to Jeff Johnson, RPM purposely uses
> modified versions of zlib, db4, beecrypt and libelf, which is why the
> libraries are embedded in the RPM tarball distribution[2].
>
> In particular:
>
>   * zlib uses 16MB uncompress buffer for RPM speed-up.
>   * zlib includes the 'rsync ready' patch.
>   * db4 compiled with --with-uniquename=_rpmd.
>   * beecrypt has "a home-rolled, Knuth based, gcd mod invert function to
>     work around a bug in DSA signature verification."
>   * RPM uses libelf gelf_XXX() API which has been widely deployed.
>
> Bottom line, folding in subordinate shared library support to the
> upstream RPM 4.x release might take a while. So, the question
> becomes: can we move on to shared RPM development libraries
> (/usr/lib/librpmdb*.dll) without support for subordinate shared library
> support?

I've already done it (modified the 4.1/4.2 builds to use external shared
libraries).  The plan is to add rpm's enhancements to each of those
packages.  The only thing we need to do is convince CGF to merge the
zlib patches, which I see as "harmless" additions anyhow, and we should
be set.  There is no reason to distribute redundant dlls, especially
since it sort of contridicts the point of using dll's in the first place.

I've already had one-on-one conversations with Jeff Johnson, and he's
filled me in on the nitty-gritty.  As I stated before, there's no rush
and I think we can get shared lib support in the next version of rpm.

The main problem I see is the fact that that damn Ulrich Drepper forked
libelf into his bastard "elfutils", which use an older libelf and in
which libtool was forceably removed from the build.  Furthermore, he has
the audacity to state on his webpage that he doesn't give a f**k if
elfutils works or not in other OS's, he's only going to target Linux and
the rest of us can be damned as far as he is concerned.  Unfortunately,
this is what is currently being used in RPM 4.2+, so it is quite a bit
irritating, to say the very least.  And if you don't know, Ulrich is the
"self-appointed" glibc tyrant/dictator, so trying get him to swallow
upstream patches for other OS's/Platforms which "he doesn't like" is
about as effective as punching a brick wall.  You see, he has delusions
that his elfutils will replace binutils, so you can obviously get a
sense of the ego trip he is on.  (Sorry for the rant, but he's really
rubbed me the wrong way w.r.t. his continuous mips bashing...)

Anyhow, it might take some effort to get elfutils working, but hopefully
it won't be too difficult.

Cheers,
Nicholas