docbook-xml42, docbook-xsl, xmlto (RE: Pending package status (09 May 2003))

Marcel Telka marcel@telka.sk
Fri May 16 16:40:00 GMT 2003

On 2003.05.16 18:13, Andreas wrote:
> > > have different versions installed. What do you think about a
> structure
> > > like:
> > > /usr/share/docbook/dtd/{VERSION}
> > > /usr/share/docbook/xsl/{VERSION}
> >
> > This directory structure looks good for me with one exception, xsl
> not
> > versioned, so:
> > /usr/share/docbook/dtd/4.2
> > /usr/share/docbook/xsl
> >
> > If this gets some votes (and voices) I'll change the structure in
> the
> > next package releases.
>
> I just had the impression that the dir structure at the moment will
> end up
> in a very big /usr/share in the future. But other packages will do.

/usr/bin is very big now and there is no problem :-).

Common practice is to place architecture-independent data into
/usr/share/<package> directory. My current docbook packages follows
this practice.

> Is
> there
> a recommended way to do?

FHS?

> > > How would these structure fit for the catalog file? Does it imply
> > > have
> > > one centralized catalog file that is updated each time a dtd
> package
> > > is
> > > (de)installed?
> >
> > Where is the problem? One centralized catalog file /etc/xml/catalog
> > looks good for me (as it is done now).
>
> Hmmm, thaks for pointing this out ;) Overlooked it somehow. And this
> will be
> maintained if other dtd packages will be installed?

AFAICT, yes.

> BTW I just checked the xmlto site and a newer version is released on
> May
> 09th.

Yes, I know. There is also new XSL package (1.61.0) available. If I get
some free time I'll package it...

> At the moment I try to tie a passivetex package (size is ~1.3M).

Great. I'm newbie in TeX stuff. My attempt to install passivetex and
xmltex was not successful... :-(

What about using some free service, like http://www.20megsfree.com/ ?

> reviewing. Would it be an option to pass it to you when it is ready?
> The man
> pages for xmlto says that it could widen its output capability with
> passivetex...

Yes.

Thank you.