astksh review

Sat May 24 03:01:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> This also relates to an issue that I wanted to raise earlier: when doing a
> search for files at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>, those files that are
> created by postinstall scripts (e.g., symlinks) will not show up in the
> listing.
> So, it might be a good idea to keep a manifest of files that would be
> potentially created by postinstall scripts, and to remove those files when
> the package is removed.  It's possible that setup will have a separate
> mechanism for tracking this.  Frankly, I don't have a concrete suggestion
> on how to implement this, but thought I'd at least get this into the
> archives and make people aware of the issues.

Actually, all us package maintainers ought to do a better job including
"pre-remove" scripts in addition to post-install scripts, that would
clean up anything created by the postinstaller.  Yep -- setup supports
this -- but most maintainers (I'm guilty here...) don't bother:

Who'd EVER want to uninstall MY package? <g>

--Chuck