gcc-core installed accidently

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Sat Nov 1 15:28:00 GMT 2003

Hallo Daniel,

Am Samstag, 1. November 2003 um 15:43 schriebst du:

> On 2003-11-01T12:53+0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> ) Somoehow setup.exe installed the gcc source package gcc-core for me,
> ) however I only wanted to install the binaries and it was also not
> ) listed in the Up-To-Date section after I tried to uninstall the source
> ) again.  What I did now was to explicit install gcc-core (the source
> ) package) and then removed it with setup.exe again.
> )
> ) I cannot say how it happened, there is no other package listed which
> ) requires gcc-core.

> Well, what was the reasoning for having a separate gcc-core package again?
> By default, both source and binary would be under the same name, and a knob
> in setup would allow the user to install either one.

I wanted to have both, binary and source with the name gcc-core, but
then I struggled when trying to create an empty bz2 archive to get the
previous gcc package uninstalled (I figured now how to do it).

> Without consulting the source (WCTS?) I'd guess it might be because there is
> no gcc-core binary package. If there is no other reason for the split, it
> might be best to remove gcc's external-source, and rename gcc-core-*-src to
> gcc-src.

The other way around, rename the binary package.  `gcc-core' is the
name used by the GCC source distribution to make clear that you get
just the core whereas the full package is named gcc-*.  I distribute
basically the same packages as they do and the names should also be
the same.

I'll do the renaming the next release then.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=