TCM package layout

Daniel Boesswetter daniel@daniel-boesswetter.de
Sun Nov 9 12:34:00 GMT 2003

Hi Chuck,

[sorry for the delay, but I've been busy lately]

Charles Wilson wrote:

> The source package is a little strange.  It doesn't seem to follow
> either method 1 or method 2.  However, it's very close to method 2 --
> just a little tweaking.  Daniel, see http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html
> for more info.

Hm, I think it is *very* close to method 1, not method 2. What's wrong?

> The binary package is laid out thus:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/
> /usr/X11R6/man/
> /usr/X11R6/share/tcm-2.20/ < runtime help >
> /usr/X11R6/doc/tcm-2.20/  < html docu >
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/tcm-2.20.README
>
> So, here's the question for the list.  For the cygwin-specific README
> in a X-related package, where should it go?
>
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/  like "normal" packages?
> /usr/X11/doc/Cygwin/ ?
> /usr/X11/share/doc/Cygwin/ ?
>
> I lean toward /usr/X11/doc/Cygwin/  just in the interests of keeping
> all things X-related under /usr/X11R6/...

I don't have any strong sentiment concerning this. I guess it's easier
for users to have all READMEs in one place (/usr, because he/she will
search it himself) whereas man-pages and executables are searched by the
machine rather than by humans and can thus be placed in /usr/X11R6.

I won't move the README unless someone (preferrably a majority on this
list) tells me to.

Opinions?

Best regards,
Daniel