[RFC] Globally creating a user and a group "root"

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 11:34:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:25:21AM -0000, Morrison, John wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Obviously I am for maintaining compatibility with existing
> >> installations (544 must work), some of which still have Everybody
> >> with gid 0 (using 0 as mapping to S-1-5-32-544 is risky).
> >
> > I think we should do the affected users a favor and remove the
> > Everyone entry from /etc/passwd and /etc/group when we find one.
> > This should be done by a script in the base-files or base-passwd
> > package as a regular job.
>
> Part of /etc/profile? or put it in /etc/profile.d/?

Eh, no.  I was thinking about a postinstall script, which checks for
Everyone (S-1-0-0) in /etc/passwd and /etc/group and removes these
entries silently.  The same script could add the "root" entry to
/etc/group.

Red Hat, Inc.