[Review - Not yet] rdesktop

Thu Nov 27 06:51:00 GMT 2003

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> 4) The script builds in the same directory as the source code.  I don't
> like that.  I have not yet (I hope) released a package that does this
> and I don't give good reviews to packages that do it.  If the package
> fails to build out of the source directory, than you can either use
> lndir or the similar but more portable suggestion that Chuck Wilson had
> a few weeks/months ago (don't remember what it was called).  If they
> cygbuild script doesn't yet support this, then it isn't ready for
> prime-time and you should hack up one of the scripts from another source
> package to do the job in the mean time.

Disagree.  It is NOT a requirement that you must be able to build a
package outside of the source dir.  *I* find it convenient to do so,
solely because it makes it easier to generate a patch without
build-generated files making a mess of it.  But that's an issue for the
maintainer; if Jari has another system that works for him, let's not put
barriers in his way.

Jari's package: (1) distributes source (2) distributes a patch (3)
contains a build script.  Except for the naming issues and worries about
clobbering that you raise, his system looks like it satisfies the spirit
behind our packaging guidelines.  That's enough for me.

--
Chuck