Question about gcc-mingw package renaming

Danny Smith danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz
Wed Oct 22 19:07:00 GMT 2003

 --- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote: > On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 04:41:47PM +0200, Gerrit
P. Haase wrote:
> >Christopher schrieb:

> >> It is not worth the aggravation.
> >
> >Just a thought.  Wouldn't be too much work for me now as I'm nearly
> >finished now I'm going to tar it up soon.
> >
> >> (and I haven't officially passed the gcc maintainership baton to you
> >> yet)
> >
> >Oh.  Anyway, I have another question about the mingw package.  I think
> >it is neccessary to include also the MinGW version of libgcj.a as it is
> >done with libstdc++ to get gcj working with -mno-cygwin and similar with
> >the ada_lib & ada_include directories.  Since it would be a huge package
> >this should also be splitted like I will do for cygwin-gcc, one package
> >for each front end and one for the core (including the c front end).

1) The mingw binary packages are already split up like that at mingw
 sourceforge site.
2) Are you  going with 3.3.2.  I have the mingw version all packaged up
and ready to upload for mingw users, but I'm not sure its worth it. In the event
I'll wait for 3.3.2 to be avaialable on a cygming branch.

> Ah, that's a horse of a different color.  If you are going to be breaking
> things apart then moving to a new package name would make sense.
>
> However, the question is if it provides more value to have a
> gcc/{gjc,gcc,f77} and  mingw/{gcc,gcj,f77} etc. or a
> gcc/{mingw/{gcj,gcc,f77},gcc,f77} .
>
> I don't really know.  I think I'd have a mild personal preference for
> seeing things sorted like:
>
> gcc
> gcc-mingw
> gcj
> gcj-mingw

why not gcc-no-cygwin :)

> over
>
> gcc
> gcj
> gdb
> .
> .
> .
> mingw-gcc
> mingw-gcj

gcc itself name binaries like this: mingw32-gcc.exe

Danny