FHS & info files [Was: [ITP] gmp-4.1.2-1]

Wed Sep 10 04:27:00 GMT 2003

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> GMP ready and packaged.
> Compiled with "-O2 -g -fomit-frame-pointer -march=i486 -mcpu=i686"
> Shared library *only* (it *either* support static *xor* shared... I
> opted for the latter)
> As usual the source package contains my cryptographic signature on patch
> and script and original package signature on original package.

Filelist:

usr/bin/cyggmp-3.dll
usr/include/gmp.h

---->>>  BAD  <<<-----
/usr/info/dir
---->>>  BAD  <<<-----

usr/info/gmp.info*
usr/lib/libgmp.dll.a
usr/lib/libgmp.la
usr/share/doc/Cygwin/gmp-4.1.2.README
usr/share/doc/gmp-4.1.2/COPYING
usr/share/doc/gmp-4.1.2/INSTALL
usr/share/doc/gmp-4.1.2/README

This is because the new generic-build-script deletes
   ${instdir}${prefix}/share/info/dir
not
   ${instdir}${prefix}/info/dir
I will update the gbs to remove both.

But....

BTW, what's the story with info files?  I've been quietly moving mine
into /usr/share/info (which means that the dir entries might not be
created on new install; leftover entries in /usr/info/dir WILL work --
see below)  But, it *would* be nice to support both /usr/info and
/usr/share/info during the transition.

There is going to be a transition, right?

See
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-07/msg00574.html

I've run that script, creating two (different!) dir files in
/usr/share/info and /usr/info.

My INFOPATH contains /usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info

The /usr/info/dir contains an entry for enscript; /usr/share/info/dir
does not.

The /usr/share/info/dir contains an entry for autoconf; /usr/info/dir
does not.

'info autoconf' works as expected
'info enscript' works as expected

AND 'info' shows a top-level menu that contains BOTH autoconf and enscript.

--> conclusion, 'info' can handle multiple dir files.  (For that matter,
so can 'pinfo'; it behaves the same in all respects.)

Also, if I only have ONE dir file (in either directory) which contains
all entries for both directories, as long as my INFOPATH contains both
dirs everything works peachy, too.

--
Chuck