GIFs in the tcm binary package

Daniel Bößwetter daniel@daniel-boesswetter.de
Mon Sep 29 12:31:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> [..snip..]
>
>I thought (but am by no means certain) that the algorithm for decompressing
>LZW is also covered by the patent, in which case you'd need a license for any
>software that decompresses it as well.
>
>Again, IANAL - I was just worried that someone might get into trouble..

Maybe you are right, but we don't want to decompress them. We only
distribute them. TCM does not even contain LZW-Code.

I think that the distribution of GIFs is not subject to the patent
policy (in contrast to their creation, as Benjamin points out), but if
would make me feel better if I knew that the GIFs were created in a
legal way. That's what I'm still about to find out.

BTW, I'm not a lawayer either :))

Daniel