ITP: leafnode

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Fri Apr 2 14:17:00 GMT 2004

On Apr  2 16:45, A. Alper ATICI wrote:

> Leafnode is an NNTP proxy suitable for small sites:
> http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/
>

> Issues:
>
> 1. Leafnode relies on hard-link counts, so current implementation of hlinks
> on FAT32 breaks it. News spool has to be on NTFS, and it seems this will be
> an NT/2K/XP only package.

Is that necessary?  Can't that be ifdef'd for Cygwin?

> 2. Leafnode requires existence of "news" user and "news" group at runtime.
> It also requires existence of "root" user with UID 0 at build stage
> (specifically during 'make install'). These will result in some editing of
> /etc/group and /etc/passwd files.

Uh, no.  While we want to change the default distro sooner or later to
have always a root user and group in /etc/passwd and /etc/group, that's
not going to happen really soon.  Other applications have code fixes to
accomodate absence of "root", like OpenSSH, ProFTP, Exim, cron...

Requireing an additional "news" account shouldn't do that much harm,
I guess.

> 3. Leafnode requires a superserver to function properly. I intend to limit
> it to xinetd to keep things simple in README, postinstall, patches, etc.
> though it can later be reverted to inetd.

Hmm.

> Are these issues/restrictions tolerable for a Cygwin package?

I'd say no.  But I'm ok with getting overruled by reasonable
counter-arguments.

Red Hat, Inc.