Setup breakage -- gdb output

David A. Cobb Superbiskit@cox.net
Fri Aug 27 00:28:00 GMT 2004

Max Bowsher wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, David A. Cobb wrote:
>>
>>> Using SETUP 2.427 (and re-downloaded it just today to make sure it
>>> wasn't
>>> compromised).
>>>
>>> While downloading the Xorg stuff, I get a message box
>>> Microsoft Visual C Runtime: "The application has requested
>>> termination in an
>>> unusual manner . . "
>>

>> That's not good...  Definitely sounds like a bug.
>>
>>> And that's all for that.
>>>
>>> Repeats with perfect consistency, but I'm not sure it's always during
>>> the same file download.
>>>
>>> Q: HOW TO DEBUG THIS -- I know Setup is not, itself, a Cygwin app; so I
>>> wouldn't expect gdb to be much help.
>>

>> gdb works just fine on non-Cygwin apps, as long as you have the debug
>> symbols in them.  Build setup from source, and you should be able to
>> debug
>> it.
>

> I've put a debug build at:
> http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/
>
> should that be easier for you.
>
> IIRC, that error message means abort() was called.
>
> Max.

Yes, thank you.
I used the MinGW32 port of gdb.  Output is attached.  It doesn't tell me
anything; the same error message issued,
this time I wasn't downloading the Xorg stuff -- the error occurred
during download of postgresql.  Nothing shows in what I see as output,
no events that I was catching (or know how to catch).  At the end,
there's no stack or anything to debug.

ATTACHED: My INSTALLED.DB, Latest SETUP.LOG.FULL, CYGCHECK OUTPUT, GDB
OUTPUT
All BZIP2

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.