setup.exe sucks

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Fri Dec 10 00:37:00 GMT 2004

Brian Dessent wrote:

> The Cygwin DLL cannot be dynamically loaded AFAIK so that won't work.

"cannot" is an overstrong word, I think.

No, the deal is this: the maintainers of Cygwin have no interest in
showing how this can be done, because then you'll get a mess of people
complaining about problems when calling Cygwin from VC++ and such.  Not
to mention the licensing arguments that would result!  I side with the
maintainers on this, but for a good cause, I think the motivation to
overcome this objection would apper.

> 1. Query the service manager and enumerate all the services that have
> cygrunsrv.exe as their target.

Yes, I thought of that, but it doesn't take into account things like
shell windows still running when you try to do an upgrade.

Clearly stopping services is the most important thing, because there is
no visual representation of them.  One can't look at one's screen and
realize that there are users of cygwin.dll, like one can with a terminal
window.  But if one stone can get two birds...