exim-4.30-1 available for upload

Pierre A. Humblet Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org
Thu Jan 22 03:01:00 GMT 2004

At 12:44 AM 1/22/2004 -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>
>> At 12:00 AM 1/22/2004 -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>> >On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>> >
>> >Is there any reason to not have the binaries in /usr/sbin ?
>>
>> Why change? The more so in light of your suggestion below.
>
>I thought the place for a daemon / server was /sbin or
>/usr/sbin.

Yes, but for some reason the exim default is to go in (local)/bin
Also it can be used directly by the user (not really recommended)
on Win9x and with nontsec.

>> >And can you add a /usr/sbin/sendmail symlink so any
>> >applications looking for it at compile or run time find it ?
>>
>> Isn't there is already such a symlink, installed by cron, and pointing
>> to ssmtp by default? I'd rather let the user decide what it should
>> point to.
>
>I didn't know as I don't have ssmtp installed. Anyway, I don't
>think such symlink should by default point to ssmtp, after all
>the replacement / alternative for sendmail is exim.

Because cron calls sendmail, sendmail must point to something.

People who run cron from non-privileged accounts may have problem
using exim as a mailer. It may not be able to write to the log
file and access its databases if ntsec is on.

exim postinstall easily create such a symlink if it doesn't exist
already, which is what cron does. If a user installs both cron and exim
the outcome will be indeterminate.

Another option is to create such a link from exim-config,
under user control. I will definitely add that in the next
release.

What do other people on this list think?

Pierre