Generic build script instructions

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Jun 15 20:33:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Robb, Sam wrote:

> Igor et. al.,
>
>   Are there any instructions for using the generic
> build script, aside from what's documented in the
> gdb itself? I'm looking at using the gbs for a couple
> of packages, and I'm trying to understand how it was
> intended to be used.

Sam,

Basically, the GBS is supposed to be a template, which you adapt for each
package.  For a lot of packages it can be used as-is, as it will determine
the tarball extraction method, the package name, etc automatically.  But
in some cases (non-standard archiving, different name for a test rule,
more documentation files to install), the GBS needs to be modified/patched
with package-specific things.

>   Right now, it looks like it's something like:
>
>   1) Get source tarball (ex, foo-0.1.tar.gz)
>   2) Rename GBS as appropriate (ex, foo-0.1-1.sh)
>      (hereafter refered to as "gbs" for brevity)
>   3) Use gbs to set up work area (./gbs prep)
>   4) Configure (./gbs configure)
>   5) Build (./gbs make)
>   6) Install (./gbs install)
>   7) Package (./gbs package)
>   8) Repeat (4) - (7) as needed
>   9) Generate a patch (./gbs mkpatch)
>  10) Clean (./gbs mkpatch)

I'm not sure this is needed, actually...

>  11) Generate a source package (./gbs src-package)
>  12) Generate a binary package (./gbs package)
>  13) If everything looks right, take a deep breath
>      and run "./gbs package all"

I think this is just "./gbs all".

>   Am I missing something?  I'm having trouble figuring out where I
> should put the README file and setup.hint - that should still go into
> the CYGWIN-PATCHES directory in the main srcdir, from the looks of
> things.  Is there anythign I've missed?
>
> -Samrobb

Yes, the Cygwin-specific README and setup.hint should both go into
CYGWIN-PATCHES.  If this works for you -- great.  If not, you'll have to
patch the GBS, but I'd like to know exactly what changes you make, since
it may be possible to incorporate some of them into the GBS in a generic
way.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/