libungif - Depends on obsolete X libraries - Rebuild for approval by maintainer

Frédéric L. W. Meunier 1@pervalidus.net
Wed Mar 10 05:27:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > These aren't really strong arguments.
> >
> > Lapo is assuming that only WindowMaker uses libungif because
> > it's the only application linked to it in Cygwin.
> >
> > You're assuming libungif should depend on XFree86 because it
> > worked fine with it for 2 years.
> >
> > linbugif compiled with --without-x will work fine too, and also
> > enable other people who don't want to install XFree86 to use
> > the library or any tools, except gif2x11.
>

> Okay, I will make a stronger argument: I will be really p'odd
> if a rebuild of libungif using --without-x busts my
> WindowMaker package.  In fact, I don't even want to have to
> look into whether WindowMaker is busted or not; I want to
> maintain the status quo because I am too busy to do
> otherwise.  If you rebuild libungif using --without-x,
> rebuild WindowMaker against that version of libungif, install
> both and test them to confirm that WindowMaker works, then I
> *might* think it is okay to use --without-x for libungif.

Sorry, but I'm not going to do that mainly because I don't use
WindowMaker, am not familiar with it, and wouldn't know where
to look for anything that could broke gif support. Maybe
someone will.

Anyway, it shouldn't break anything as some Linux distributions
use --without-x and ship WindowMaker with gif support (yes, it
has a --disable-gif).

> > But, again, is it so hard to make 2 packages, one with
> > --without-x ?
>
> Have you done it?  Yes, it is really hard.  Think about 16
> hours to work out all of the little kinks.

What ? I thought you had fix all issues, so it's probably what
took your time. Simply replicating it with --without-x
shouldn't take so much, as it doesn't change anything. In fact,
it just doesn't build gif2x11. You don't even need to
relibtoolize and such.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html