Proposal: Lua 5.0 package

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Mar 13 15:06:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Stefan Schuerger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to become the maintainer of a package for the Lua language
> (http://www.lua.org). Proposed package name: "lua".
>
> Is there anybody already doing this?
>
> setup.hint:
> category: Devel Interpreters
> requires: cygwin
> sdesc:    "A powerful light-weight programming language designed for
> extending applications"
> ldesc:    "A powerful, light-weight programming language designed for extending
>    applications. Lua is also frequently used as a general-purpose, stand-alone
>    language. Lua is free software."
>
> The porting effort is minimal and Lua is tiny, but as I've never done any
> Cygwin packages before, I might need some help.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

Stefan,

I'm sure you've looked at <http://cygwin.com/setup.html>.  There isn't
much I can add to that except for looking at the way others propose
packages (the common name for a package proposal is "ITP", see
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#ITP>), and following suit.  Particularly,
we'll need links to the actual package files, both binary and source, so
that we can review the packaging and verify that the source builds
correctly.  Since you say you haven't done this, you might want to take a
look at the generic-build-script and generic-readme templates in
cygwin-apps CVS, and use them in the source package (for Method 2
packaging).  Also, look at recent reviews (especially the "no go" ones)
for possible common mistakes.

Unfortunately, there's an ITP moratorium in effect at the moment, at least
until coreutils goes into mainstream.  Once that happens, though, please
resend your ITP with all the relevant links, wait for people to review and
vote for your package, and, once it gathers 3 votes and a good-to-go
review, it will be uploaded to the main Cygwin package site.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu