Ready for test coreutils-5.2.0-1 [again]

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Sun Mar 14 18:19:00 GMT 2004

> Here's what's changed since my last packaging attempt:
>
> 1) The following files are deleted from the distribution:
> usr/bin/uptime.exe
> usr/bin/kill.exe
> usr/share/man/man1/uptime.1.gz
> usr/share/man/man1/kill.1.gz
>
> 2) Fileutils patches have been included.
>
> Package is available at the same location:
>
> http://blackburn.homeip.net/cygwin-packages/release/coreutils/coreutils-5.2.0-1-src.tar.bz2
>
> http://blackburn.homeip.net/cygwin-packages/release/coreutils/coreutils-5.2.0-1.tar.bz2

I have a suggestion for how to deal with the "old"
fileutils/textutils/etc.  Provide "empty" versions of the packages this
replaces, bumping each by 1 revision.  This way, it should "uninstall"
the old stuff before installing the new stuff.  At least, it worked for
Jan when the new teTeX packages were made.  Also, IIRC, some of the
packages were linked against libbinmode.a to prevent problems with
CR/LF.  I wonder if this ought to be libautomode?

Also, our /bin/sh is pretty much braindead (no job control, amoungst
other things) since it was decided that shaving 50k off of ash is worth
not having a POSIX compliant version.  Subsequently, the nohup script
will not work with /bin/sh (ash), so it is necessary to force it to use
bash instead.  See the following scripts from mknetrel to see what needs
to be done pre/post config & build:
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/mknetrel/extra/fileutils?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=cygwin-apps
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/mknetrel/extra/sh-utils?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=cygwin-apps
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/mknetrel/extra/textutils?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=cygwin-apps

Note that it is easier to just to pass -L/usr/lib -lbinmode to LDFLAGS
instead of bothering with printing gcc's search path.

Finally, this is kinda picky, but why not use bzip2 instead of gzip for
the manpages?

Cheers,
Nicholas