[ITP] neon (A WebDAV library required by Subversion)

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Thu May 6 18:43:00 GMT 2004

Reini Urban wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
>> Packaging looks good to me.  +1 from me.  I'm curious to see subversion
>> on Cygwin.
>
> BTW, there seems to be some confusion on this matter. You don't need
> neon to see subversion on Cygwin.
>
> Dave's subversion links already contain static libs of apr, apr-util and
> neon. Sources are also included. The regular subversion release does it
> ditto.
>
> To have subversion in cygwin none of apr, apr-utils and neon is
> required. Just the fixes for the server build, and numerous other
> package problems.
>
> I'd rather concentrate on helping Dave to fix the outstanding subversion
> packaging issues, than including new packages which are in the default
> subversion src tree also. This is code bloat and doesn't help subversion.

The fact that subversion source tarballs ship with certain required
libraries included does not in any way make having those libraries in
packages of their own.

Seperately packaged shared libraries enable bugfix releases without having
to update a single large package when just 1 component changes.

Seperately packaged libraries also permit much quicker build times for
building subversion from source. They are useful to people who want to build
from subversion's trunk, rather than use packages, which would come from the
release branch.

Max.