setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Sat Nov 13 01:26:00 GMT 2004

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> So, I'm looking for comments, and suggestions for candidate http/ftp
>> client
>> libraries to investigate.
>
> What's wrong with libcurl?  It has extensive support for all kinds of
> extended http/ftp features, see for example
> <http://curl.haxx.se/docs/comparison-table.html>, and is MIT-licensed so
> should be no problem statically linking it into setup.exe.

Indeed, libcurl was one which came to mind.
I've yet to play with it, but one thing I'm a little worried about is it
being *too* extensive - I don't want setup.exe to grow very much.

I'm certainly going to look into libcurl, but I'm open to other
possibilities too.

Max.