setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

Lapo Luchini lapo@lapo.it
Sat Nov 13 09:50:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>It would be nice if setup.exe supported the rsync protocol.  That would
>also give you the ability to suspend and resume.  I don't know how easy
>it would be to get librsync working in a mingw environment, though.

This may not be really "up-to-date" but rsync use is still "your life is
so much better if you spawn an actual rsync program to do the work",
e.g. rsync authors themself "suggest" not to use librsync.
I asked this very question some time ago because I was ionterested ni
adding rsync support to Mozilla (it would be oh so great...), then I
tries using protozailla (to actualyl spawn a rsync exe) but protozilla
kinda died, it seems.

Extract from http://librsync.sourceforge.net/
"librsync is not wire-compatible with rsync 2.x, and is not likely to be
in the future. This is a new codebase, designed to allow a fresh start
on the problem and a cleaner design. It may be used in a future version
of rsync or a successor project."

>Would it help if setup.exe was broken down into two different programs?
>One for accessing the network and another for manipulating packages?

Updating local "mirror" with rsync would be certainly possible, but only
after the base system is already set up, as there is no "rsync-on-mingw"
visible even on the fartest horizon, right now..

--
Lapo Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)