Packages that change without incrementing the version/release

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Sat Nov 20 17:39:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> setup.ini is always correct.  If the package changed in setup.ini, that
> should not trigger a download unless the user specifically asks for it.
> I don't see any reason to check md5sums for packages that aren't being
> installed.  When a package is specifically requested for reinstallation
> an informational message could be displayed indicating that the package
> had changed.

That works up to a point.

But setup cannot tell whether the reason for the mismatch is a corruptly
downloaded package, or a silent change - so what should it tell the user?

Personally, I'd rather we didn't allow packages to change without a bump in
the version.

Max.