"Copyright year, year, ..." statements in setup.exe

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Tue Nov 23 22:32:00 GMT 2004

Brian Keener wrote:
> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>>
>> Setup is not Cygwin.
>
> True true, but the only changes I have ever submitted were for Setup and
> when
> I originally posted my first setup changes - DJ had me file an assignment.
> assumed since I had to file one, and it was essentially a community
> project
> that we all had filed an assignment but I guess things could have changed
> since then as well.  Just didn't realize that someone could have a
> Copyright
> on part of Setup.

Well, it's a mess really. Ideally, the copyright would be held on the behalf
of the community. However, that (AFAIK) requires some sort of official
entity to hold the copyright, which we don't have - leaving individuals the
only remaining entities available to hold the copyright. Add in the problem
that a large proportion of the source files state "Copyright Red Hat",
though this seems to be (for the most part, anyway) just lazy assumption
rather than actual transfer of copyright.

Max.