Still hosed by setup problem

David A. Cobb Superbiskit@cox.net
Tue Oct 12 22:55:00 GMT 2004

Well, now I am completely out of business!

This is more data regarding the "URL Scheme Not Registered" failure in
SETUP, last reports were around 9/18.

In the last progress message posted before the crash, I spotted a
package name (from gnome) that was one character short at the left-hand
end.  I did a search on that name and found that I still had a URL-named
directory with a setup.ini in an old format - from cygnome.sf.net,
IIRC.  I removed that and tried again -- no luck.

Next I completely removed my local package repository and started with a
new set of mirrors.  Same ending.

Today, I chewed my foot off in hope of getting out of this trap.  I
expunged every bit of my cygwin installation, and the repository and
started again -- the one thing I kept was my registry mount table.
I downloaded a batch -- probably everything (I let setup default).  The
download completes correctly, as far as I can tell.
Then "Install from Local Directory" -- BANG it immediately crashes with
the "URL Scheme Not Registered" error.
Now that doesn't make much sense to me; if the download is completed,
where does "URL Scheme" come into the picture?

Anyway, not much hope of getting anywhere now -- I have no cygwin at all.

I do, however, have a mingw32 installation, so I may be able to build a
debug version and run it under mingw32-gdb.  The last time, that didn't
tell us anything.

Any information about where that error message originates would help.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.