[ITP] bashdb, bash_completion

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Tue Oct 26 18:33:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski schrieb:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Reini Urban wrote:
>>Yaakov Selkowitz schrieb:
>>>http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/publ/cygwin/bash-2.05b-rebash/bash-2.05b-rebash-0.43-2.tar.bz2
>>>http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/publ/cygwin/bash-2.05b-rebash/bash-2.05b-rebash-0.43-2-src.tar.bz2
>>>
>>>If I'm not mistaken, I don't think setup.exe/upset will like such a
>>>package name "bash-2.05b-rebash".  I think every part of the package
>>>name (after each hyphen) must start with a letter (unlike the version
>>>part, which must start with a number).
>>
>>ok. then it should be bashdb.
>>

>>>In any case, I'd be weary of having two packages with colliding files.
>>>Is there some way to work around this?
>>
>>nope.
>>persuade ronald to add it. Or I could drop my ITP and keep it at my site
>>for the fearless ones.
>
> Sure there is -- name the executable "bashdb.exe", and let the users call
> it explicitly.

nope. bashdb is a shell wrapper which passes the --debugger switch to
bash.exe, and sets up the debugging environment. similar to rbash which
adds --restricted to bash.exe

http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/

$ man bashdb

  "bashdb" is a bash script to which arranges for another bash script to
  be debugged. The debugger has a similar command interface as gdb or
  Perl's perl5db debugger. The way this script arranges debugging to
  occur is by including (or actually "source"-ing) some debug-support
  code and then sourcing the given script or command string.

  One problem with sourcing a debugged script is that the program name
  stored in $0 will be "bashdb" rather than the name of the script to be
  debugged. The debugged script will appear in a call stack not as the
  top item but as the item below "bashdb". If this is of concern, use the
  last form given above, "bash ---debugger" script-name.

  A downside of invoking bash with the "--debugger" option is any of the
  options below that are not bash options don't work, and those that are
  bash options have the bash meaning rather than the bash debugger mean-
  ing. For example, "-n" in bash means don't run a bash script but just
  syntax check it which is different from what is listed below.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/