ocaml packaging dependency bug: curses vs. termcap

Robert R Schneck-McConnell schneck@math.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 2 02:56:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Robert R Schneck-McConnell wrote:
[ocaml linker requires gcc and libncurses-devel]

> Umm, right.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I'm a bit uncomfortable, though,
> with making the ocaml package depend on both libncurses-devel and gcc,
> since those are only needed for the native compiler, and people might just
> want to use the bytecode interpreter...

FWIW, I was linking in bytecode, but with some external C functions linked
in as well (with "ocamlc -custom").

I'd settle for a mention in the README.

Incidentally, for the build requirements you list in the README: I'm
pretty sure I needed to get some X libraries to build ocaml with labltk
support...

One more comment for the README.  When running ocaml programs using
labltk, I would always get
  exception Protocol.TkError("Can't find a usable init.tcl in the
  following directories: C:/cygwin/share/tcl8.4 ...
The solution I found was to either set TCL_LIBRARY or (conveniently) run
  ln -s /usr/share /share
Better, I think, would be to configure the ocaml package so that labltk
looks for init.tcl where cygwin puts it.  Do you know how to do that?
(I don't.)

Robert