libtoolized some older libs

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Sep 29 14:33:00 GMT 2004

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> On Sep 28 19:14, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>>I made several /usr/lib/.la file for libs which could be loaded shared
>>>(at run-time) for myself to enable shared and smaller modules for the
>>>bigger stuff I'm working on. php, clamav, postgresql, ...
>>
>>Whether a .la file exists or not has NO bearing on whether the library
>>can be loaded dynamically (either implicitly by the windows runtime
>>loader, or explicitly via dlopen()/LoadLibrary()/etc).
>>
>>The .dll.a & .dll files for these packages are fine.  There is nothing
>>wrong with them.
>>
>>Except they weren't produced by libtool.  BFD.

Sure.

> Erm, why?  OpenSSL doesn't use libtool for producing shared libs, even
> on any other platform.  What's the deal?

Just a libtool fake.
The deal is that that is a problem for libtoolized packages, when they
don't pick up cygssl*, instead they link statically to libssl.a.
It needs some hackery to persuade them to pick up the dynamic version there.

for f in /usr/bin/*.dll; do \
     cygcheck $f | egrep "cygssl(-0.9.7)?.dll" && echo $f; done
=> postgresql, svn, openldap, neon, curl
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/