Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))

Hans W. Horn hannes@2horns.com
Sat Apr 23 06:26:00 GMT 2005

Max Bowsher wrote:
> Hans W. Horn wrote:
>> Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> Having got the superficial naming problems out of the way, I took a
>>> closer look at the source packaging.

Superficial? In your earlier complaints you made it sound as if those naming
issues were of utmost importance!

>>> There were many issues - the most serious being that the source
>>> package did not even contain the Cygwin specific readme at all - and...
>>
>> hear - hear (you didn't look, did you?)!
>
> Yes, I did.
>
> And just to be sure, I used grep. It was not there.

Interesting! You did a grep on a compressed tarball? Or on a directory tree?
Quite unconventional.
I would use 'find'. As in:
cd /usr
find ./ -name doxygen*README -print
./share/doc/Cygwin/doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1.README

>>> many minor deficiencies related to using a home-grown build script,
>>> rather than the tried-and-true cygwin template.

Yup! Guilty as charged!

>> typical NIH syndrom!
>
> NIH?
"Not Invented Here". Probably doesn't count. Has no cygwin trademark!

>>> I am sorry, but the conclusion I came to was that it would be less
>>> effort for me to produce my own packages of doxygen, based on the
>>> the generic-build-script, than to assist in getting these packages
>>> up to a good-to-go status.

As I see it: the last version of the package I have submitted was as much or
little conformant to the cygwin guidelines as the package it was meant to
supercede, or 50% of all the other cygwin packages on the market today.

> All Cygwin package maintainers work to the set of guidelines that the
> project has designed for itself, and which are posted on the website.
> If you desire to help, but lack the time or inclination to meet the
> guidelines the project has defined for itself, ...

and which are being modified on the fly, see
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-04/msg00063.html

> ...then you will discover that whilst your desire to help is appreciated

Are you sure you mean that?

> ..., you actual offerings may not actually be helpful to the project.
>
> This is a simple fact. If it angers you... there is nothing I can do
> about that.

I'm sure you wouldn't! But that's not what angers me; it is rather arrogance
and pretence that pushes my button.

In any case : this is not a competition for maintainership - you may keep it
all for yourself! And I'm out for good!