[UPLOAD] base-file 3.6-1

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Aug 4 16:09:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to John Morrison on 8/4/2005 6:52 AM:
> >
> > I wouldn't have thought there would be much/any speed gained doing it
> > this way...?
>
> There's no speed difference, whether bash_completion is sourced by
> /etc/profile.d/completion.sh or by ~/.bashrc.  The difference is that
> sourced by ~/.bashrc, the user explicitly turned it on, so they are aware
> that they caused the delay; plus multiple users sharing a machine can
> independently decide whether or not they want to take the delay.  But with
> /etc/profile.d, the user has no choice; bash_completion WILL be sourced,
> and cause the delay.

What if the user has to set an environment variable for
/etc/profile.d/bash-completion.sh to run?  You could check for that
environment variable in /etc/profile.d/bash-completion.sh and exit if it's
not set.  And it's easier than editing their .bashrc...

BTW, one drawback of the /etc/profile.d approach is that it only works for
login shells.

> I'm afraid there are too many people who blindly install every package
> without realizing the implications, but I'm willing for the next release
> of bash-completion to use /etc/profile.d if there are enough complaints
> of why the user has to edit ~/.bashrc in addition to installing
> bash-completion.  (I guess if I ever do add an /etc/profild.d hook, I'd
> have to make sure bash_completion is idempotent, so that sourcing it the
> second time is a no-op, rather than doubling the delay of users that
> already edited their ~/.bashrc.)
>
> > If somebody installs bash_completion then they shouldn't have a problem
> > with something taking longer, if they do, they should uninstall it
> > (removing the /etc/profile.d/ file) :)
>
> Removing the /etc/profile.d file is a partial solution, but then cygcheck
> would report the bash-completion package is incomplete.

You could also stick the file in /etc/defaults/etc/profile.d, and have the
config script copy it to /etc/profile.d...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu