FFTW3, Shared Libraries, libtool

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Thu Aug 11 16:54:00 GMT 2005

James R. Phillips wrote:

> --- "Gerrit P. Haase"  wrote:
>

>>BTW, 3.0.1 is still current, so the patch should apply without fuzz.
>>
>>2.1.5. and 3.0.1 are not binary compatible and there are still some
>>packages out there which require fftw2, maybe you want to contribute
>>both versions?
>>
>>In case you are interested I would send you also my 2.1.5 build.
>

> I will see what I can do with your patch on 3.0.1, and get back to you if I
> have questions.  Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Do you think the patch is universal enough that it should be submitted to
> upstream?

3.0.1 is dated, at  least 2 years old.  Maybe there are already some
changes in the repository?

> As far as 2.1.5 is concerned, I will consider it, but am inclined against it at
> the moment, as my focus is on getting the best possible octave package working,
> and octave uses the 3.0 api.  Most likely I'll send out an ITP for 3.0 when it
> seems to be working properly with octave.  If you or others would benefit
> greatly from a 2.1.5 build, however, that might increase my motivation to
> package 2.1.5 as well.
>
> On another subject: gcc3.4 currently builds a non-functional octave which hangs
> before reaching the first user prompt.  If you could outline what information
> would be helpul to you as the gcc 3.4 maintainer, I will try to generate it.

I need a simple testcase ;)  We should track down where it fails and
where not, does it work with cygwin-1.5.17 or is it not depending on the
version of cygwin?  I have another problem which breaks C++ binaries
which work fine with 1.5.17 but not with 1.5.18, regardless on which
version of cygwin it was compiled, however it works well in any case
when using gcc-3.3.3.

> I'm pretty clueless about gdb, but I'm game to try to learn a little.  Keeping
> octave built with the current default compiler is a priority for octave on
> cygwin, because octave allows the building of compiled extensions (.oct files)
> which want to use the same compiler octave was built with.  Octave upstream is
> concerned about this issue, particularly since cygwin doesn't support
> installation of more than one gcc version.

I introduced versioned libraries with 3.4, maybe I should rebuild 3.3.3
with this flag on too?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=