Proposal to add and maintain the w3m package

Bob Heckel bheckel@gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 14:15:00 GMT 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 03:20:33PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:32:20PM -0500, Bob Heckel wrote:
> >Here are preliminary setup.hint's
> >
> >@ w3m
>
> Can you explain what in the documentation suggested to you that you
> needed to use this "@ w3m" tag?  I have read the setup.html web page
> repeatedly and it seems really clear to me that it isn't required but
> you are at least the third person who has recently submitted a
> setup.hint with this.
>
> I'd like to correct the documentation so that I don't have to keep
> making this observation over and over again.

The template's use of italics (http://cygwin.com/setup.html#setup.hint)
confused me.  I knew I had to enter "some text" and guessed that because
"package" was italicized too, I needed to enter that.  Plus, as Igor said
(thanks for the helpful comments, Igor), I needed a way to distinguish w3m and
gc hints.

Maybe bolding the user entries and italicizing the autofills/optionals or
adding an example to the documentation would help?  These use Igor's
suggestions:

# w3m package prototype for submission to cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
sdesc: "A text based Web browser and pager"
ldesc: "w3m is a pager/text-based WWW browser. It is similar to Lynx,
but handles some things like page navigation differently. It can
render tables and frames (by converting frames into tables) or
display a document given from standard input.  And it is small."
category: "Text Web"
requires: gc ncurses openssl cygwin

# libgc package prototype for submission to cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
sdesc: "The Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative garbage collector
for C/C++"
ldesc: "The Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative garbage collector can
be used as a garbage collecting replacement for C malloc or C++ new.
It allows you to allocate memory basically as you normally would,
without explicitly deallocating memory that is no longer useful. The
collector automatically recycles memory when it determines that it
can no longer be otherwise accessed."
category: "Libs"
requires: cygwin