coreutils-5.3.0-1

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 14:18:00 GMT 2005

On Jan 31 06:52, Eric Blake wrote:
> Attention: cygutils, gettext, and procps maintainers - see below for
> packaging conflicts.
>
> According to Corinna Vinschen on 1/31/2005 2:38 AM:
> >
> >>This release is marked as test for several reasons:
> >
> > Please consider to put this package out of "test" in a couple of days.
>
> I forgot to mention one other reason - upstream designated 5.3.0 as
> unstable, as compared to 5.2.1 being stable.  But it has worked pretty
> reliably for me, so you are right that I should bump it to current after a
> couple of weeks of no complaints on the cygwin list from early testers.

Hmm, if it's even unstable for the upstream maintainers...

> Then I won't bother writing a workaround patch for `pathchk' in the 1.5.12
> timeframe unless someone asks for one.  Any idea when 1.5.13 comes out?

Later this year.

> > Packaging looks good.  I've uploaded the package.  Please send an
> > announce posting to cygwin-announce.  Don't forget to include the
> > unsubscribe instructions in your announcement.
>
> Hmm, I found some packaging issues (maybe we should fold a variation of
> this check into the generic-build-script):
>
> $ tar tjvf coreutils-5.3.0-1.tar.bz2 |
> > sed -e 's,.*usr/,/usr/,' -e 's, -> .*,,' | grep -v '/$' |
> > xargs cygcheck -fv | grep -v coreutils-5.2.1
> /usr/bin/readlink.exe: found in package cygutils-1.2.5-1
> /usr/lib/charset.alias: found in package gettext-0.14.1-1
> /usr/lib/charset.alias: found in package libiconv-1.9.2-1
> /usr/bin/uptime.exe: found in package procps-010801-2

Urgh!  Ok, that's not good.  Please remove charset.alias from the
coreutils binary package.  There's no reason to provide it.  As far as
readlink(1) is concerned, I guess it makes sense to use the coreutils
version and remove the cygutils version.

What about uptime?  I guess it should stay in procps, and not be packed
with coreutils to keep problems at a minimum.

>   It looks like I will have
> to make a -2 release soon to get rid of these packaging conflicts.

I guess, yes.

Red Hat, Inc.