Welcoming Brian Dessent as setup maintainer

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Tue May 3 23:41:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Another possibility might be to embed the .chm or .hlp file in the .exe
> as a resource.  I don't know if that's feasible or not.

Tricky at best.  Both WinHelp.exe and hh.exe are separate programs, and
their APIs seem to have no way to tell them to look at a resource inside
another EXE.  I seem some mumblings in the HTMLHelp docs about using an
ActiveX control with IE, so perhaps you could embed IE in order to
display your HH file, but....ick.

> Still, the context sensitive help would go a long way, and there is a
> manual in html that they can refer to online.

Context-sensitive help is just resources, so that wouldn't require a
traditional Windows installer.  I recall that it's tricky to do outside
a dialog, though.

Perhaps setup.exe could have a button to launch the default browser to
open the online Cygwin docs from setup.exe.  I believe the Shell API has
a way to do this, where you just "open" a URL.  ShellExecute(), perhaps?